Quick Trip to Qatar

While I was in Ireland during Covid, I knew that I needed to find a better job. I found another position in the Middle East, and although the salary isn't what it used to be, I found myself wanting to leave the dark and dreary dampness of Roscommon for the deep, dry heat of the desert.

I agreed to taking a position in Doha, Qatar. I was told A, B and C. However, when I arrived, my work ended up being X, Y and Z. Not what I signed up for. I was already having trouble getting my documents notarized and then translated, which I found extremely annoying since both the Kuwaiti and Omani governments didn't require separate notarization and translation because they're both part of the GCC (which Qatar is also part of). Then I was told that I was going to have to pay for additional documents, and I just stopped and thought about the dishonesty and additional money I was going to have to pay for all of these extra bits and bobs. When I did the math, it was going to cost me more than one month's salary. Trying to keep my frustration and then anger at bay, I messaged the Irish Chef (who had found a job in Ireland and was still there) and then a friend and asked how terrible it would be if I just left.

My gut was telling me to buy a ticket that weekend and leave. So I did. I didn't give much notice, but I figured after how many lies I'd been told, my employer deserved to know that it's not okay to treat people so poorly. People leave their homes, families, friends and support systems, so it's unacceptable to be so dishonest. The irony was that, waaaay back when I'd applied to jobs in Kuwait, I'd actually wanted to go to Qatar. Can I please say that the people I met in Kuwait were amazing! To this day, the Irish Chef and I have friends whom we met in Kuwait. My experience in Qatar was disappointing. The food wasn't disappointing though. Insert delicious food photos here:

                                   While with colleagues we went for Indian food on the Pearl
                                                               Lebanese food in the souk

Add to my disappointing work experience and the all-too-real problems with the 2022 World Cup preparations, and I was actually happy to go. Kuwait and Oman are not without their problems, but I felt those work experiences were so much better. For the sake of transparency, my salary in Oman was a little bit higher than it was in Qatar (in CAD, less than $200).


I think that if you can find a great job in Doha, you'd love it! It has a lot more expats who behave and dress in ways that you could see in most western countries, so if you don't want to experience culture shock or live a more modest lifestyle, then Doha may be for you. I wasn't there long enough to determine how I really felt about it. I can say that it's beautiful, the weather is amazing, the souk is fantastic, the food was incredible, and I never felt unsafe. It is similar to other countries in the gulf, but more ethnically diverse.

                                          Most of the photos I have were taken in the evening
                                                           The souk! Look at that moon!
                                                                      Waterfront walks
                                                              And marking in the park :)
                                                                  The MASSIVE park
              I don't know what building this is, but I think that the architecture in Doha is really cool!
                             Look at the size of the sun. A stunning sunset. I miss that GIANT sun.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be "done" with the middle east. It still has a part of my heart. But I don't think I'll return any time soon. And if I travel? Well, the Irish Chef and I have a list of places we want to go that aren't in the Gulf region.

Comments

Popular Posts