Homecoming

This halfie Canuck's been enjoying summer back in Canada, leaving Oman only days before the Irish chef did. He went on a new adventure to Shanghai, China. I, on the other hand, have been socializing with friends and doing what I do best: eating. Now, please don't hate me, but I haven't taken pictures of half of the food I've been eating back at home. Shame, shame, Mik!!!

Travelling abroad this time around took a toll on the Irish chef and I. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I feel done with the middle east right now. It felt so dry last time, literally and metaphorically, that there's nothing pulling me back there. My job wasn't challenging or motivating, and even worse was that I felt something with the whole situation was off (we had water problems in our washroom for over a month that were never taken care of, and not being able to take a hot shower in my own apartment when a fully furnished, fully functioning flat was part of my contract, the company I was working for was not one I would ever recommend, co-workers treated each other terribly, etc...). It was a tough six months and I think it reminded me of what I will always love about the middle east, but also what I can no longer accept (lifestyle, work environment, location). In some ways, I feel the same about Canada, but the difference is that my family and friends are still in Canada.

I arrived back in London, sans checked-in luggage, and spent a few days acclimatizing to the obscene onslaught of humidity. I also find that each time I come back here, I need a few days to find my bearings. It gets more and more difficult to come back to Canada and return to the life I was living...Those days are looong gone. Once a few days passed, I announced to family and friends that I was back and chaos (the best kind) ensued!!! There was the wedding of close friends of mine and a 50th wedding anniversary party! Sunny days at the park, rainy beach days, campfires with burnt marshmallows and hot tub nights with homemade cider! There were pajama parties, girly nights out with my sister, dog sitting, cooking my dad homemade dinners, and there was even time in Toronto where I was able to see my besties! It's not over yet, but it's felt like the best summer in Canada in the past few years. I chalk it up to the fact that I've accepted that this place isn't my home. It's a temporary haven where a lot of my favourite people live :D

Speaking of favourite people, J&A's wedding was an amazing bilingual event (A is German and half of the guests flew in from Germany!!!). I was also lucky enough to recite a poem (Shakespeare's Sonnet 116-is there a better wedding poem?!?), do my friend's make-up (she was a bridesmaid!), and take care of the candy buffet!!! Did I make my dad come with me so I could use his senior discount at Bulk Barn?!? Heck yeah, I did!!!

J&A reciting their vows
 The first dance as husband wife became a choreographed highlight!
 It wouldn't be a Vagabond event (what my friends and I call ourselves) if there wasn't dancing!
 Josh ONLY wrote this when his wife wasn't around, hahaha!
Yes. These are my friends, lol!
 Kash has a tough time being serious :D
I think Jeve is the ONLY person whose dirty mind rivals mine.
 In the absence of the Irish chef, I went with my trusty date, Kris!
The bridesmaids with the groom.
I did M's make-up!!!

More wedding fun: I tend to do make-up for a few friends when I'm home. I do a friend's (Z's) make-up all the time! She's awesome and I love getting to fancy her up!

 The explosion of make-up at mine while I was doing Z's make-up for her cousin's wedding.
Z, on the left, looking gorgeous, as always!!!

Wedding Anniversary Party: I took quite a few pictures, but because this was at someone's home, I didn't feel comfortable posting...Sorry, all :(

 This is an AWESOME gift idea! My friend changed some of the facts from American to Canadian ones, but it turned out amazingly!
 When I looked at "What Things Cost" my heart hurt!
Grandkiddles and I!!! I spend time with these two nuts and their parents (all friends of mine!). Super awesome family!!! I felt very blessed to celebrate in such a big day!

Throughout August I waited on my new contract to begin in the UAE. I was anxious and excited about returning to the middle east. However, when, after almost nine months of waiting for the Ministry of Education to get it together, frustration won and I made a decision: stop chasing after the sun. I'm now waiting for approval on a visa to China; hopefully, I'll be reunited with my chef in the upcoming weeks!

Comments

Popular Posts