Another Year Older...Any Wiser?

Well turning 32 didn't entail any trips, unlike last year. Every once in awhile I like to ignore the whole thing because it's not that big of a deal to me. My parents rarely made a big production of birthdays, so for me all I really like to do is just have my favourite dinner and maybe some dessert. There are no gifts, no balloons or candles and I like it that way. It means that the day is just another day. So, aging this year happened quietly and I was allowed to do it gracefully and privately (without anyone at work knowing). With the exception of the Irish chef (who cooked me a DELICIOUS birthday dinner!!!), and the Georgian lady who took me out for coffee and dessert (sooo yummy!), I was able to let the day pass me by.

That being said, I did get spoiled this year: I have gotten myself a trip to Turkey...AND France! If I'm lucky, I'll be able to squeeze in either Belgium or Germany and Iceland!!! I'm sooo excited and thankful!!! Since I haven't had the opportunity to travel since starting at my current company, this trip is LOOOONG overdue. I'm going to leave May 1st and wrap up my trip on May 19th. I have to admit that the reason I'm even able to take such a long vacation is because I'm leaving my current job. 

This decision was not taken lightly, and it wasn't as easy as I may make it sound. What did make it easier? Well, for one, my sister has been taking care of my father on her own for a long time and I feel guilty that I've left her to do it all on her own; secondly, I'm actually ready to take a leap of faith and try to open my own business in Canada. I'm so excited about this chance and I'm going to take full advantage of it. I have to stop being scared and apprehensive. There's no time like the present :)  Lastly, I came to Kuwait because of an intense curiosity I've had since I was a little girl to learn about the Middle East and the Gulf, and I have learned a lot. Part of it, undeniably, was because I thought it would help me understand Habibi better, and of course, I needed to distance myself from him. So I came to the only place in the world he can't stand. I knew I'd be safe here. I'm no longer afraid of him finding me (he hasn't tried to do so in the past two years), so I feel confident that I'll be able to go home and never see him again. 

I also have to admit that my heart is no longer in teaching or in making a lot of money. Sure, it's wonderful to feel secure knowing that your bills are covered, but anyone who's worked in the Gulf, Kuwait specifically, can tell you that there is NO job security here. I'm not obsessed enough with money to live here. And so, I'm off to never return to Kuwait.

Another chapter will end and yet another will begin and I will feel at a loss for a reason to blog....Do I continue this chat in Canada? Ironically enough, my family doesn't even read this-even though the reason I began to blog was to keep them up-to-date with what I'm doing here. What a laugh! I have more followers in Brazil and Switzerland than I do in Canada! Hilarious, isn't it? However it is that you stumbled on my endless, random blabber, I apologize if I'm boring you. I really did intend to use this as a communication tool for my family in Canada and Japan....Yeah, they're not reading it in Japan either, hahahaha!!!

Okay, that's my short update (short for me, LOL!). I hope you're all well and that you stay cool ;) 

Comments

  1. Hi, I'm one of those lurkers who's been following your blog - my OH is heading to Kuwait (tomorrow) to teach, so been googling a lot about the place - that's how I found you! just wanted to wish you all the best in your future endeavours, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naomi,
      Thank you so much for leaving a comment :) All the best to your partner as he/she embarks on the journey! By the way, if you ever have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
      Thank you for the well wishes and thank you for reading.
      Best,
      Miki

      Delete
  2. its so interesting to see what foreigners think of kuwait, its not much but being a kuwaiti native i have to say i miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JD,
      It has its ups and downs, but it all comes down to the individual. I try to make the best of it. There's no place like home :) Hopefully you can visit/return soon.
      Take care and thank you for the comment.
      Miki

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts