Return of the Mik

I spent my last week in Canada doing my usual “I’m-leaving-home-for-an-extended-period-of-time” routine before I was off yet again. I know why my mother nicknamed me ‘boomerang’ now. I flew out of London on a gloomy, cold evening, and left a little earlier than normal because my friend in the military (the one who I’d seen while she was docked in Kuwait), was flying into our hometown to see her parents. Seriously, we couldn’t have timed it better! Her plane landed shortly before I was heading to Toronto, and so we sat and had a quick coffee. We talked about her wedding plans and she showed me pictures of potential wedding dresses (she looked beautiful in them!). It was an awesome send off!

I usually end up flying through the U.S. to get to Kuwait, but after my previous trip through the U.S. (in March and April), I finally decided that I’m no longer going to do that. I have a million negative experience stories, but I’ll save those. Sorry, America. You’re home to many people I love, but I refuse to enter your country unless I’m visiting my wonderful friends there. Sooo, this time I flew from Pearson (Toronto) to Schiphol (Amsterdam, Netherlands) and from Schiphol to Kuwait International Airport and it was AMAZING! I never want to fly through the U.S. after my experience flying through Amsterdam. I don’t even know why I ever flew through the U.S. since each time I go through Europe (Frankfurt, Istanbul and now Amsterdam), it’s a stress-free, unique travelling experience.

I got to Kuwait safe and sound. A driver from the company and the Irish chef were there to greet me (I accidentally put in my last post that this is what happened when I came to Kuwait for my interview, but I made a mistake). I flew into Kuwait late on Saturday evening and started work very early the next morning. Yes, I AM crazy, but I really wanted to spend as much time with my family as I could. My first week at work consisted of me getting settled in and filling out paperwork, doing training (health and safety), and lesson prep. I really, really like my co-workers! I’m the youngest and I’ll admit it’s kind of nice when they take care of and help me. I work with three Egyptian gentlemen and a Scottish woman who has an awesome sense of humour! We have another new team member who started at the beginning of May-another woman who is American. Now our team is a bit more…Balanced (the ratio of men to women). I love the working environment, my students and my colleagues. I feel like this position is a much better fit for me. I don’t feel stressed out, half-dead, extremely exhausted or even annoyed when something changes at the last minute…Or perhaps it’s the combination of the warm, sunny weather and being familiar with the customs here? Whatever it is, I feel a lot happier in my career than I have in a very long time.

I moved back in with my old roommate, my Lebanese partner in crime (the woman I went to Dubai with). I had only been here a few days when she mentioned she was going to the salon to have a manicure and pedicure done and asked if I wanted to join her. I decided to go along with her since I’d never had either done before. She was in shock when I told her that! I did do acrylic nails (when I was in high school), but I had never done an actual manicure. It was awesome! We went to a salon in Fintas called Ahlam and chatted with a lovely group of Filipino ladies. After painting my nails a shade of red that my father would never approve of, we made hair appointments for the following week and went on our merry way. I couldn’t stop staring at my nails, enamoured with the luxuriousness of it all. I even got a foot wash AND a foot massage! Why haven’t I done these sooner?!? Well, to be frank, I was too poor, or too preoccupied with spending my money on other things. Anyhow, the girls at the salon are very kind, but for me (who speaks no Arabic), I would have struggled if I had gone alone.

I ended up returning to the salon the following week to cut my hair which was a disaster. My hair looks fine. In fact, I think everyone really likes the new ‘do. However, my hairdresser doesn’t speak a lick of English and so I depended on my roomie to explain what I wanted done. Unfortunately, without a razor and thinning scissors the style I’d requested couldn’t be done. Did that STOP my hairdresser from chopping my hair? Nope. She went to town on my hair, cutting too much off the length (even though I’d shown her how much was okay to cut). I think she could see me fuming-and I was fuming. Taking a lot of the length irked me the most because I’m trying to grow my hair out so that I can donate it to a company in my hometown that makes wigs for cancer patients who have lost their hair (wigs made on-site, locally distributed and sold). I have a tough time doing this because my hair is just so thick that it usually causes daily migraines. I know the haircut added about 6 months to process. I felt badly about my negative reaction and asked my roomie to explain why I was a bit shocked and that I did really like how it turned out. I kissed her on the cheeks, said “shukran” ("thank you" in Arabic) and headed home. I have since returned to the salon to do my nails again. I have to admit that the visits have reminded me of the episode of SATC when the girls have a discussion about class distinction. If I'm being honest, I'm a bit torn about the whole thing.

 A hot, bubbly, sweet-smelling foot soak=TOTAL relaxation and luxury!
 Getting my nails did ;)
The finished result. I like!

I really don’t know why I’m putting off the most important news…No, not the most surprising news, but definitely the most significant…and predictable: I don’t stop eating out. I don’t go to extremely expensive spots and that’s why I can afford to go out as often as I do. I also like that although I have my favourite spots, I am always willing to try out new places, and boy have I tried out a bunch of new places! Hold onto your shirts, everyone! Here we go!

The following pictures at The Breakfast Club are of my meals only...So maybe I go to The Breakfast Club a bit, lol!
 The Breakfast Club (in Fintas): The grilled haloumi sandwich (very good!)
 The Breakfast Club (in Fintas): The Italian frittata (SOOOO Awesome!)
The Breakfast Club (in Fintas): The American breakfast (The Irish chef's all-time favourite dish)

At Wasabi (in Mahboula) with my colleagues from school. Wasabi is MUCH better than Sakura, but not as good as Benihana
 Mmmm, VIRGIN cocktails. I feel like I'm 13 years old all over again!
 SUSHI!!!
Tempura "ice cream" (that actually was more like cheesecake)

With the Irish chef at Al Forno, an Italian restaurant at The Avenues (Mall)
 Delicious tomato, black olive and goat cheese pizza! Oh, yeah, and more mocktails-mmmmmm!
The pasta with an array of meat was sooo good! I think I'm part Italian. I DO love pasta, genettis and Sambuca, hahaha!

At SmashBurger with the other halfie. On a side note, she didn't care for her black bean vegetarian burger
 That's a pretzel bun! Mmmm, the fries were seasoned with rosemary-ooooooooh, special!
A better shot of the burger. I want to take the Irish chef here :)

With the Irish chef at a new restaurant called Sea Bass in Fintas (this is the fish, rice, tahini and seasoned eggplant without the salad, bread and soft drink that were included with the meal-all for 1kwd and 500 fils!)
The fish was DELICIOUS!!! I think that the Irish chef, his roomie, me and my roomie are going to be paying this place a little visit this weekend! Amazing!

Regardless of all the photos I haven’t ONLY been eating. The Irish chef and I have been trying to get more fresh air and exercise by going to Salmiya more often. Two weeks ago we went for a long jaunt along the shoreline. He brought his bike and I walked. We had such a great time getting away from our part of the country; we even found a little hidden boat museum. It was great fun and, as always, full of laughs and I DO love to laugh!

Clearly a certain someone wanted to be in the picture
 Information posted about the boats used in the region
 Actual boats on display

In other news, the mourning dove HAD laid eggs (as we had suspected) and the eggs hatched!!! My sister was sad to report that the babies have now learned how to fly and are gone. Lastly, I confirmed my flight home to Canada this summer during Ramadan! No, I’m not MOVING home, just coming for vacation. Since there aren’t any classes, my company told me to take some time off. I’ll be back in July and August for about a month. Oh, Canada! By the way, in October, for Eid I want to travel…Any suggestions? I really want to go on an African safari and see the Serengeti (Tanzania and Kenya), but even as I say that I feel like I’m 5 years old. I’m also considering Turkey. Hello, Cappadocia!!!

Canada: baby birds with their mama

Comments

  1. I am finally catching. up. Nice nails and glad you are reaching out LOL. Nice to put a face to the Irish Chef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah: Hahaha, I have only been back once since cutting my hair. I really don't feel very comfortable having people wait on me hand and foot-literally. I think I have to have the care done (they clean up the skin on my hands ad feet which they said they noticed I DON'T do-oooops!), but I should really try to do that myself. Yes, the Irish chef has given me the OK to post pictures of him. He's a very good guy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts