Reading (Some of) Shawn's 5-Star Books: Isabel Bogdan, The Peacock

Book #4 is Isabel Bogdan’s The Peacock, Translated by Annie Rutherford.

Okay, this was the toughest book for me to get my hands on because I couldn’t find it at my library or on Scribd, Audible, or libro.fm. I even asked my partner if he could access a digital ebook or audiobook copy from his library, and his library didn’t have it, so I ended up buying it from Book Depository. I know they’re evil, but in this instance, they were my only choice, and let me tell you, I don’t regret buying it one little bit.

So, this was a physical read for me, and I don’t know where to start talking about this book. I started it at a time when a boat load of bad news came my way, and I found myself in a reading slump. I picked it up almost 5 times and couldn’t get past page 10 and decided to stop reading it. I told myself that when I pick it up next, I would read at least 25 pages.


(Image from goodreads)

Reading 25 pages in one sitting can be a lot if a book isn’t grabbing and holding your attention. But my hope was that the story would be so good that those 25 pages were going to be what sucked me into the story and boy did those 25 pages ever suck me in!

I promise that I did try to slowly savour this read, but I failed and instead inhaled this comical story about a couple who convert part of their property into rental accommodations and end up with a booking for several individuals who end up at the spot for a corporate, team building retreat. What ensues is hilariousness, and I didn’t expect to laugh out loud while reading this, but it was the best medicine. It also helped me overcome my tough week and pulled me out of my reading slump. I can’t stop thinking about this story and would love to instantly reread it, making it a big FIVE-STAR read for me and making Isabel Bogdan’s The Peacock an absolute hit!!!

So, let’s get into the meat of it:

Firstly, Annie Rutherford’s translation work is fantastic! The English felt seamless, and there wasn’t a single moment when I felt that I was reading a story translated from German into English.

Secondly, even though the humour is one of the things that I love most about this publication, I think that there are moments of different relationships building that are touching and heartwarming, especially since part of the story takes place during a cold, winter snowstorm in Scotland! Simultaneously, the development of each character’s arc is never trite—even though the story is only just over 200-pages. We see how the characters struggle to take the team building activities seriously and how the employees eventually find ways to communicate and come together as a team, and in-between those moments, readers are privy to some interesting revelations.

Thirdly, although I’m not a fan of anthropomorphism, this wasn’t heavy-handed, and I think that had it not been included, the story would still be fantastic to me, but it’s part of the story and is used to reveal a mystery to the reader that none of the characters know about.

Lastly, if you’re a fan of humour in literature, a fan of multiple POVs, or shorter fiction, then this could be for you! Alternatively, if you’re in a reading slump, try picking this book up . . . I think it might be just what the doctor ordered!

[Purchased from bookdepository]

I now only have two of Shawn's 5-star books left to read, and I'm SUPER excited to read them!

Comments

Popular Posts